Workbench: Part 4 – Gluing up the new top

This is a continuation of Workbench: Part 3 – Change of plans. Time to glue it all up. My worbbench/outfeed/assembly table has a torsion box top so it makes a good surface for gluing something like this up.  I have a 1/8" thick piece of hardboard that serves as a sacrificial top but I would still prefer to…

Workbench: Part 3 – Change of plans

  This is a continuation of Workbench: Part 2 – Gluing up the top. After gluing up half of the top, I repeated the process and got the other half glued up as well.   Once it was dry I joined them together with glue and biscuits just like I did for the individual boards.  …

Workbench: Part 2 – Gluing up the top

This is a continuation of Workbench Part 1 - Milling down some 2 x 4s. We got another snow day so this gave me an opportunity to work some more on my wife's workbench. Now that the boards have all been milled down, it's time to start gluing them together.   For this project, I knew I was…

Making a guitar pick from a cracked cymbal – Part 2

This is an update to my original post titled Making a guitar pick from a cracked cymbal. I learned a few things since making that first pick.  Here's what I did differently. First, I decided to trace an outline of the pick using an awl.  This works better since the red Sharpie kept getting rubbed off…

Making a guitar pick from a cracked cymbal

Update: I created a follow-up post with a few things I did differently.  You can find that here. I started with the remnant from a cut-down cymbal.  I chose a cut-off from a Zildjian A Custom 10" Splash because of how thin it was and how it didn't have much of a bow to it.…

Workbench: Part 1 – Milling down some 2 X 4s

My wife is a lot like me in that she likes to make stuff. She wants a workbench for her studio. The design we are thinking of consists of a one-inch thick top and a metal pipe framework for the legs. I'm going to worry about the legs later, but for now (since we had…

A drummer’s perspective

 Over the weekend I auditioned for a band.  It was a situation where I was brought in to replace an existing drummer so the songs were already structured and written out.  I knew pretty quickly into the audition that it wasn’t going to work out.  Stylistically, I wasn’t a good fit.  But there was something…

Cutting down a pair of Wuhans

I was asked by a friend of mine to cut down her pair of 12" Wuhan China (or "Lion" cymbals, as they call them) into a smaller set to use as hand cymbals.   There was one slight problem.  Years ago when I first got into repairing cymbals I took my own version of the…

Heroquest Card Creator

Back in 2002 I created an app for the board game Heroquest by Milton Bradley, which allows you to create your own cards for use in the game.  It proved to be rather popular, even with fairly limited functionality.   I haven't played Heroquest in over a decade and I'm not really looking to get…